Tuesday, July 15, 2008

John Grady, RIP

I just found out today that someone I was rather close to has died.

John Grady, an Economics professor at La Salle University, passed away this Sunday. He was head of the La Salle University Honors Program, and had a profound influence on the course of my life.

Dr. Grady not only offered me academic guidance, but he put me in touch with the Davies-Jackson Scholarship Committee, which ultimately awarded me a scholarship to St. John's College, Cambridge University. If it had not been for Dr. Grady, I would not have gone to Cambridge, and my life would have taken a different course.

Dr. Grady was a warm, caring man, with perhaps a streak of the curmudgeon. He was one of the longest teaching professors at La Salle University while I attended that institution. I took one of his Economics courses, and found it hugely informative. Dr. Grady recognized the power of the free market while still pointing to the need for limited government intervention.

He will be sorely missed.

No comments: