Friday, October 06, 2006

Catching Up

Hi all,

I have been really busy for the past few days, getting my possessions together and setting up the internet link in my room. My classes started on Thrusday; they have been interesting, but really hectic.

Over here, there has been a lot of talk about the school shooting that took place in Amish country, which is not far from where I live in the States, interestingly. The story appeared on the front cover of the Daily Mail, and it has been featured in many other British papers. Part of the reason for this coverage is that it involves Amish people, who are something of a novelty to Europeans, but I also think it involves a certain amount of the British sense of superiority over their former American subjects. After all, when they see things like this incident, it is easy for them to see us as barbarians and wonder if losing the colonies might not have been the best thing that ever happened to them. It may well have been, in some respects.

I will post again tomorrow.

No comments: